Sunday, May 19, 2013

Hip Dysplasia Awareness Month

June is hip dysplasia awareness month...I know it's not June yet but I have lots of friends with babies right now, so I feel compelled to do this now.  So, mommies, check the legs of your babies. Do they seem to be the same length?  Good. Next, lie them on their backs and lift up their knees with their feet flat on the ground.  Do they come to the same height? Good. Next, check their fat juicy thighs. Are they symmetrical to each other?  Because they should be.  And, finally, how is their development? Are they rolling over/crawling/walking on schedule?  If not, and you suspect something is wrong, ask for X-rays. For reals. If they are on schedule developmentally, but any of the other indicators are there, call your doctor and ask for an X-ray.  A pediatrician is not going to catch it. Not trying to scare anyone. Most babies don't get hip dysplasia, but mine did and so I'm so much more aware (obviously) and want everyone else to be aware, too!  My pediatrician thanked me for being so proactive because he don't catch it. Our orthopedist told me it went undetected because it was so mild. Had I not educated myself (thanks google) Katie would still be undiagnosed. Educate yourselves. Check your babies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment